Thursday, June 28, 2012

Cherished Moments

During our visit in Oregon I found out that Kent's Grandma Grunenfelder had passed away, so instead of heading back to Pullman, Emma and I headed north to be with family.  The memorial was held on Sunday, June 17, 2012 in Olympia Washington.  Friends and family remembered Grandma Grunenfelder through many stories, favorite memories, and pictures of Hildegard Grunenfelder.  There are many memories and moments I will cherish, however there are two things I will cherish always.

1) The first is blackberry pie.  Kent and I had been dating for maybe 2 months and I went with him to Olympia to visit his grandparents.  While Kent was hunting with his grandpa and uncles I stayed home with his grandma.  One might think it would be uncomfortable since we had only been dating for a few months, but I had never felt more comfortable.  Kent's grandma made me feel so at home and treated me like I was part of the family.  Something I came to realize early on while dating Kent was that pie is essential at dinner and at any family get together.  I was pretty excited about this since I love pie.  Well while Kent was out hunting his grandma invited me to help her make a blackberry pie.  Now many of you know that I am not the most comfortable in the kitchen. I was kind of nervous to cook with his grandma for two reasons, first cooking/baking makes me very anxious and two I have never baked a pie before.  Well, I had nothing to worry about and my first pie turned out amazing thanks to the help from Kent's grandma.  I am so thankful to have such a wonderful memory to hold on to and think of everytime I make a pie.

2) The second is the love Kent's grandparents shared.  I am not sure I have ever seen two people love each other as much as his grandparents loved each other.  Kent and I always thought it was funny how much his grandparents reminded us of how we interact with eachother.  Many of you know Kent likes to jokingly teas me and I do not think there was ever a time while visiting Kent's grandparents where Grandpa Grunenfelder did not tease Grandma atleast once.  Even though he teased her you could tell he absolutely adored and loved her.  I can only hope that Kent and I will be able to grow old together and have a relationships like theirs.

Thank you Grandma for being such a wonderful mom, grandma, greatgrandma, and wife.  We love you and will miss you greatly!

One of my favorite photos of Kent's grandparents! 

Summer 2011
Christmas 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment