Thursday, July 18, 2013

May 19, 2013: Cole's Birth

After having an epidural and struggling to breast feed Emma I really wanted to try and have a natural birth.  So, in an attempt to do things differently this time around Kent and I signed up to take Bradley Birthing classes.  I am so thankful that we decided to pay the money for these classes.  Kent and I learned so much not only on how to manage labor pain, but about breast feeding, pregnancy, eating healthy, and much more.  I would highly recommend for other families to attend Bradley Birthing classes.  After 12 weeks of classes the big day finally arrived May 19, 2013. 

Cole's Birth Story:
After a long day of birthday parties I (mommy)  was exhausted and decided to go to bed early.  Around 1:00 am I woke up to use the bathroom.  After I got back into bed I felt a little gush of fluid.  I was not sure if it was my water breaking since it wasn't a huge gush.  We called the nurse and she said to wait an 30 minutes and if I continued to leak fluid I should come into the hospital.  So, I got back up and of course my water continued to leak.  At this time we called my dad, woke my mom and Alex up and called my other birth coach Lindsey to let them know what was going on.  After contacting everyone Kent and I were going to head to the hospital, but we changed our minds and decided to stick to our birth plan of laboring at my mom's house.  It is amazing what panic does to you.  Our first instinct was to go to the hospital rather than sticking to our birth plan and laboring at home, but after the panic and excitement faded we realized we had a birth plan for a reason.  So, we began timing the contractions, which was a lot harder than we thought, and my water completely broke.  Once my water broke the contractions began to intensify very quickly. 

At approximately 1:45 the pain became so intense I was not able to stand, walk or talk during the contractions so Kent and I thought we should head to the hospital.  The drive to the hospital seemed like it took forever and riding in a car while in labor was awful.  I remember Kent trying to talk to me and all I could think about or say was, "stop asking how I am doing and drive".  Once we arrived at the hospital we had to check in (which I think is the most ridiculous thing ever when I am obviously in labor and in extreme pain).  They took us to a room where I changed and they checked to see how dilated I was.  Once they realized I was 8-9 cm they moved me to a different room.  Even if I had wanted an epidural there was definitely no time, Squirt was ready to meet his mom, dad and big sister.  At this point I lost track of time.  I do remember feeling a lot of pain and repeating that I don't think I can do this, but of course I can and I did.  After Squirt arrived the doctor wiped him down a little and then I was able to hold my little boy.  I was able to hold him for a minute or so until Kent cut his umbilical cord, however the doctor had Kent take him.  I remember asking the doctor if something was wrong and he very sternly said yes there is.  Apparently I had began hemorrhaging.  Thankfully the doctor was able to get the hemorrhaging to stop and there were no further complications. 

At last I was able to hold my little boy again.  Kent then asked me what we should name him.  I told him I had no idea and that he should decide.  Kent of course chose Cole Bernard Grunenfelder, which fits him perfectly.  Even though it was a painful experience it was also an amazing one that I am very thankful to have had. Cole Bernard Grunefelder we love you so much and are so blessed to be your parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment